Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hey Guys, Career advice required. Is it ok to work with Enterprise Software (Siebel) or more general java / C#

Specially looking from perspective that Enterprise software like pplsoft, siebel etc are acquired by oracle..............

Hey Guys, Career advice required. Is it ok to work with Enterprise Software (Siebel) or more general java / C#
I would always go with the more general and work towards the specific when making a choice like this. You are going to get much more use and opportunities learning Java and C# than going with specific specialized enterprise software. Java and C# reach into so many other areas of the computing world that learning those will allow you to be incredibly flexible. After learning those you can go back and pick up the specialized software.





The idea is that if you ever find yourself out of work or in need of a career change (within the computing field) your Java/C# knowledge is going to allow you to do that. Another thing is that if you go and tie your training to a specific vendor if that company has problems, so do you (granted Oracle is pretty solid but even an Enron scandal could crush a company like Oracle)





I know quite a bit about Java and C# myself and I am so glad I know these because it has really opened up my marketability to other companies.





That is what I would go with if it was me. Good luck with the future opportunities.


No comments:

Post a Comment